I freaked out when I saw Ayu breathing heavily and panting that early morning..Fuh!
1. 1st of all, you must feed your cat with lots of kitten food. This will help produce more milk.
2. If you know when the due date is, you better find a box and put some news paper and a towel in it and put it in a secluded area.
3. if your cat is not a flat faced cat, chances are, she will know what to do when the time comes. But in case she doesnt know, you will have to help her.
4. If it is time to deliver, you will see her breathing heavily and fast. She wont be able to stand properly, especially the hind legs.
5. Just watch and see if her water bag has broke, you will see clear/yellowish liquid all over the floor.
6. If she allows you to come close to her, talk to her in a soothing voice and stroke her head and her back. (prepare the following: boil some water, get a clean cloth, some threads -benang biasa untuk jahit also can and a pair or scissors)
ONLY HELP IF SHE NEEDS IT!
Baby is out half way for more than 5 mins, you can help to pull the baby slowly. the placenta will be out together with the baby so dont get a shock of your life. She will eat the placenta (good for producing more milk) When she does this, she will cut the umbilical cords (tali pusat). If she does eat or cut the cords in more that 15mins, you should tie the thread or string around the tali pusat and cut with the scissors. Make sure you sterilize the scissors in the water you boiled earlier.
In the process that she eats the placenta, she will lick the layer of film that covers the kitten. If she doesnt do this, you need to tear it a bit, especially around the head. if the the kitten is not breathing, put it in the clean cloth or towel, hold it in your palm and swing the kitten from side to side until you see it open its mouth to breath.
After all the kittens are out they should start drinking milk from their mom about 2 hr after birth
There are usually 3 - 5 kittens. The interval between each kitten can take from 1/2 hour to 24 hours so good luck.
When is the mother due? What breed is your cat? If local or mixed, I m sure you wont have a problem. Good luck!